Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On to the next one! 1986 XV7050 Build!
**Edit- I did some searching on my VIN tonight and discovered the bike I bought is actually a 1986 XV 750 not an 85 xv700 as listed below**

Well . . . I sold my 1979 Honda CB650 before I even had a chance to get to ride her after the last mods lol. But it gave me enough cash to buy my next project . . . a 1985 Yamaha XV700 Virago. I know they are not the sexiest bikes around when stock, but figured it would be a good platform to keep learning about motorcycles and hopefully build something cool along the way! I'll try and keep this thread as active as possible and post pictures and videos as I go, but if you really want to follow along in real time I have been using my SnapChat to post as I do things so instead of posting every single pic here I will try and post just the more important ones here and keep the rest on SnapChat or my Photobucket. Feel free to follow any of the platforms if you want.
(SnapChat = JCarlitoOnline) 
(Photobucket = http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/juanca...0Build%202 )

Anway, first here is the bike I sold
[Image: IMG_7163_zpsdvc9e0oo.jpg]
1979 Honda CB650 Bobber

And here is the new bike I bought
[Image: IMG_7220_zpshvlkwiez.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7221_zps2bbfx1jf.jpg]
1985 Yamaha XV700 Virago

First "mod" I did was remove the ugly blue air filter cover the PO had on there . . .
[Image: IMG_7234_zps5ik99yoe.jpg]

Then I started to get to know her . . .
[Image: IMG_7239_zpszbjjj4kz.jpg]

And came across my first "needs repair" part . . .
[Image: IMG_7275_zpstxifmhrh.jpg]
Oh well, could be worse . . .

Figure the first thing to do is get her running right as when I tried a test start only one cylinder would fire . . . but when I test rode before buying both cylinders fired . . . Need to look further into this issue, but figured I would start with cleaning the carbs….
[Image: IMG_7274_zpsnjaqlpzh.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7276_zpspu5ongea.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7277_zpslkyonput.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7279_zpsrjo6njbb.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7280_zpsmd7neqrc.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7281_zpsnnyvvs8e.jpg]

The carbs weren't actually to bad from what I could tell, so I just did a quick clean without separating the rack etc, then figured I would put it back together for a test start, but the battery had been drained and didn't have enough cranking power . . .hmmmm . . . could the be related to the one cylinder not firing?? I charged the battery and then did a compression test…
http://vid1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag...x4uhpp.mp4
Both front and rear tested about the same, so I checked the spark at the plugs…
http://vid1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag...qqh0zd.mp4
One plug seemed a little weaker and not as precise when sparking…maybe this is part of the problem?
I did however get the bike to fire on both cylinders but it ran poor with lots of sputtering and back fires . . . Will try again tomorrow and see what happens, also going to switch the spark plugs and see if its the same cylinder that doesn't fire. If it changes at least I know that much!
http://vid1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag...8n2krd.mp4

Future Plans
Looking into converting to a single carb. If I do I will also go with a manual petcock and eliminate the vacuum lines. Someone told me this might help with the backfiring and running issues, plus its easier to tune one carb (in theory) than 2 carbs synced together.
Will fabricate or buy forward controls.
Change the handlebars to more of a ape hanger style, probably somewhere in the 10" riser range.
Haven't decided on seating yet. But am leaning towards another solo seat bobber bike. Build a two up cruiser later on a larger displacement platform.
Move controls, new lighting, etc etc etc…. You all know the drill. One job will lead to the next whether I plan it or not lol.

Well….thats all for now. Hopefully you all follow along and give feedback as I go. This community was awesome in regards to help on the first build and I hope that continues as I am still just a noob! Let build number 2 commence!
" Look Long and enjoy the ride..."
~Juan Carlito~

Current Build - 2003 Yamaha Road Star 1600 Silver Edition 034/150

Bought,Built,Sold:
79' Honda CB650
86' Yamaha XV750
Awesome post Juan! Love it. Keep up the good work! Maybe I missed it....what do you have planned for the tank?
(08-19-2015, 11:18 AM)jmilay Wrote: Awesome post Juan! Love it. Keep up the good work! Maybe I missed it....what do you have planned for the tank?

Haven't decided yet. The "backbone" as is sits at like 3 inches wide and a little more near the seat. So would have to be some sort of custom fit I think. But I got time to figure that out Smile
~Juan Carlito~

Bought,Built,Sold:
79' Honda CB650
86' Yamaha XV750
Shocked 
Cut that backbone out!  Cool
(08-19-2015, 08:58 PM)jmilay Wrote: Cut that backbone out!  Cool

Lol. See what happens. As is the frame is part of the air intake system as well the virago doesn't have any down tubes or bottom frame. So to cut that out I probably need to increase my fab skills first lol
~Juan Carlito~

Bought,Built,Sold:
79' Honda CB650
86' Yamaha XV750
I spent some time looking over the bike and taking down all the VIN numbers I could find. Made sure they all matched and then started searching. . . At first I couldn't find anything matching my VIN as it starts with 1RT and every other 86' XV700 I could find started with 1RR, 1RM or 1RV . . . Hmmm . . . Then I came across this site http://0mniverse.com/motorcycle/Yamaha%2...20VIN.html that had my 1RT listed . . . under the 1986 XV bikes . . . BUT under the 750cc Smile . . . So I thought I would go further and confirm over at http://www.vin-decoder.net and guess what came up . . . You guessed it! I have a 1986 Yamaha XV 750! Bonus for sure!!!
~Juan Carlito~

Bought,Built,Sold:
79' Honda CB650
86' Yamaha XV750
Thats always awesome! Good detective work! What do you plan to do with the extra cc's hahahaha!
(08-21-2015, 01:17 PM)jmilay Wrote: Thats always awesome! Good detective work! What do you plan to do with the extra cc's hahahaha!

Well once I get everything running right I hope to go faster with them lol . . . But first . . . Carbs!

Quick question for anyone familiar with V twin bikes or more specifically the Virago:
I am on the fence as to whether or not I should convert to single carb or keep the dual set up…so until I decide 100% I am going to start buy trying to get the dual set up dialled in. Currently when the bike idles I have a lot of backfiring from the carbs and the pipes so work is needed. My question is are the 2 carbs supposed to be jetted the same or should they have different sized jets? If I remember from my first cleaning they both had the same. And the idle jet is a press fit?? I assume that means I shouldn't try and mess about to much with it? lol
Would shimming the needles help with the backfire issue and again would they be shimmed the same or different? Thanks for any help Smile
~Juan Carlito~

Bought,Built,Sold:
79' Honda CB650
86' Yamaha XV750
the back firing can come from a few sources. Those arent stock pipes and def not stock air cleaner correct? where is it backfiring throttle position wise? have you checked your plugs?

On my shadow 750 i run a 130/132 main. dual carb. it makes mine purr. tj brutal sells kits with 145's and says fuck different jets. I believe its my rear cylinder that has the bigger jet. I put his 145s in and was dumping fuel out my exhaust. he thinks its due to elevation...buddy I live in florida, 200ft is a mountain here. Ive also ran the set up clear past 5,000 ft elevation with no issues at all. It just goes to show you all bikes are different.

not to discourage you, but unless theres a manifold from the factory or a known one that works I would drop the single carb idea. Ive done a lot of research for mine and after two years I forgot about it. One I learned my bike and its carbs, two, manifold design is a bitch. your rear cylinder has a hard time not starving. Hence why a carb per cylinder is common.

another disclaimer, I stress I dont want to discourage but viragos are not the most saught after bikes to chop for a reason. Cafe all day, otherwise the set up makes everything very difficult to make safe and appealing. Personally Id get the thing running mint and find a bike you can have fun with. The more you chop it the less value it will have. Unless this is the bike for you, keep it real simple. move on to a vlx 600, shadow 750, vulcan 800, xs650, sportster etc. just my two cents.
(08-22-2015, 12:00 PM)Mr.Mandoozle Wrote: the back firing can come from a few sources. Those arent stock pipes and def not stock air cleaner correct? where is it backfiring throttle position wise? have you checked your plugs?

On my shadow 750 i run a 130/132 main. dual carb. it makes mine purr. tj brutal sells kits with 145's and says fuck different jets. I believe its my rear cylinder that has the bigger jet. I put his 145s in and was dumping fuel out my exhaust. he thinks its due to elevation...buddy I live in florida, 200ft is a mountain here. Ive also ran the set up clear past 5,000 ft elevation with no issues at all. It just goes to show you all bikes are different.

not to discourage you, but unless theres a manifold from the factory or a known one that works I would drop the single carb idea. Ive done a lot of research for mine and after two years I forgot about it. One I learned my bike and its carbs, two, manifold design is a bitch. your rear cylinder has a hard time not starving. Hence why a carb per cylinder is common.

another disclaimer, I stress I dont want to discourage but viragos are not the most saught after bikes to chop for a reason. Cafe all day, otherwise the set up makes everything very difficult to make safe and appealing. Personally Id get the thing running mint and find a bike you can have fun with. The more you chop it the less value it will have. Unless this is the bike for you, keep it real simple. move on to a vlx 600, shadow 750, vulcan 800, xs650, sportster etc. just my two cents.

First the backfire is at idle so far, runs like shit so haven't made it to throttle position tests. But I cleaned the carbs again and shimmed the needles with one washer just to see if it helped. Runs a bit better in regards to the backfire but sounded strange. SO as the bike ran I pulled one spark plug and the bike died. Restarted and pulled the other and nothing happened. SO looks like I am running on one cylinder . . . going to switch the plugs and try again, see if the non running cylinder is a bad plug. If not I am hunting issues I guess.
As for the single carb conversion I am still unsure on it myself so sticking with the dual carb. And "chopping" is a bad word for this build. I think I am going to just do simple cosmetic conversions like added a solo seat, maybe lock out the rear with some bolt on struts, fresh paint and change the handle bars. This way I can sell easy enough and future owner can still go back to stock if wanted. I am looking for a VN800/VN800A to do a real build on . . . Unless I come across the perfect bike and go over to the dark side and find a harley lol . . . Mid 40's Knucklehead anyone?? lol
~Juan Carlito~

Bought,Built,Sold:
79' Honda CB650
86' Yamaha XV750