Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my 2nd vlx
(09-08-2015, 09:01 PM)Mr.Mandoozle Wrote: I wouldnt bother with gassless, its an opinion but Id have to say Im pretty familiar with welding. I personally dont think gasless has any place on motorcycles. Maybe a farm or certain industrial applications.
Using gas and having ample power will aid in learning. That mig i linked or one similar will be a staple in your shop for years to come.

For the money you cant beat eastwood with their 3 year warranty. Ive had the tig 200 ac dc now and think its a great machine for the money.

yea bro ima defintely gonna look into a eastwood. i have no experince whatsoever welding. i figure ill go buy the welder and sit at home and mess with it. how much would it cost for like a smaller tank of gas once i buy the welder itself?

As far as the bike. Stop with the colors, its a waste of time personally and make you sound like your shopping for an outfit. Just busting balls, but seriously. First question, whats the goal of this build? Is it to learn how to color cordinate? is it to learn how to fab and do basic customizations? Are you thinking youll hold on to it, or do you wanna do some basics and move on?

thing is i love bobbers the most out of any style bike. but almost all bobbers i see are half assed spray can painted flat black bikes. i really dont like that. ill rather get a nice paint job that i know will last then do it half assed. as in colors im not one to want to blend in. im sure this first build ill do something pretty simple. all black or so. but yea this bike ima build it and im almost certain one my friends will buy it. so yea its not something i plan on holding onto for years to come.

Im gna guess youre into less ratty looks but these are my idea of a great vlx and hopefully solid inspiration you can do in your own shop. Style wise these are pretty spot on and will be for years in my opinion. 
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7480/1614...19d6_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7374/1636...5b8d_c.jpg

im not into the whole rat looking bikes at all. i think its looks really tacky.

This is why a single back bone is crucial. that tank sits bad imo.

i understand where you wouldnt like this but personally i love the look of it. it just looks 100 times better then that stock really fat tank. yea if it was single boned and the tank sat down just a bit it might look a bit better. but i actually like it like this.
[Image: FlatNasty20_zpse46aeccd.jpg]

The best thing about customs is that its all in the idea of the person building or paying. There are ultimately are no rules, but that doesnt make it open season for metric guys to ruin it. Not saying hd guys dont do dumb shit too, but the reason Ive found that metrics get the shit talked besides not being "merican made" is that there are so many "builders" that make annoying half assed shit and pollute the world of custom bikes.

Biggest mistakes in my book:

springs on springs.
I think it is downright rediculous to put a springer seat on something that has rear suspension. I think it gets done alot because its a relatively easy mod and a popular look. That doesnt make it right, but hey its their bike.

agreed. but i have the strut so those seat springs is my only suspension for the rear.

No rear fender.
Its just flat lazy and looks dumb. I always imagine the newb taking his fender off and going, "there looks better."

once again this is where we disagree. hahaha i love the no fender. thats what a bobber was about taking off all the unnecessary stuff. my 1st vlx will have fender. but this one wont.

ReBar.
Rebar is for concrete, not on motorcycles. It doesnt not have the elements that other steel has that allows it to be used in this manner. Its dangerous as all hell and really just dumb to look at. With that being said, DOM tubing is all that should be used for fames and hardtails. Cold rolled for sissy bars and fender stuts.

i would never use rebar ever for anything.

Hand shift with the clutch on it.
One its lazy. Two its half assed. Three its got to be annoying to always start off one handed.

i actually love this alot. ive never ridden a bike before with this but the bikes ive seen ive liked it alot.
also im not tryin to become the ultimate bike builder or anything like this. i have a vision on how i like my bobbers to look. it might not sit well with everyone. but we all have our own taste in bikes as in cars, etc. some people say why put so much money into a metric and not a harley. honestly ill never own a harley. i dont own a shop or anything just doing this as a hobby and maybe one day i can open a shop. thanks again for everything. ill definately keep everyone posted on how this turns out.

To me the ultimate is timeless. Stay away from trends and make it yours. 
Cheers.
I liked everything starting out. As time goes on you start to see it from a different light. The type of guy that will compliment your fenderless hand clutch/shift bike aint someone that you'll probably learn anything from and if you do, good luck cause hes probably sold a bobber on craigslist with a rebar sissy bar. Seriously.

Dont get me twisted tho, one of my best friends has about the worst bikes on the road and I ride with him all the time. Hes young and willing to learn.
[Image: 20150603_201411.jpg]
bad pic but im sure you get the idea of how badly awesome learning can look. He could only make it 50 miles so I told him to stop by, now hes got 4+ gallons.
(09-09-2015, 01:27 PM)Mr.Mandoozle Wrote: I liked everything starting out. As time goes on you start to see it from a different light. The type of guy that will compliment your fenderless hand clutch/shift bike aint someone that you'll probably learn anything from and if you do, good luck cause hes probably sold a bobber on craigslist with a rebar sissy bar. Seriously.

Dont get me twisted tho, one of my best friends has about the worst bikes on the road and I ride with him all the time. Hes young and willing to learn.
[Image: 20150603_201411.jpg]
bad pic but im sure you get the idea of how badly awesome learning can look. He could only make it 50 miles so I told him to stop by, now hes got 4+ gallons.

something like that bike i would never even get on it. its not at all something i like. we just have 2 different visions on whats nice or what not. but the whole rebar thing has got to be the worst idea. i would never even think to put that on one of my bikes. i think one of the worst things you can do to a bike is put on a tractor trailer fender. one of my old bobbers had that and i hated it so much. if a bike has a fender i think it should curve with how the tire is shaped not flat.
this bike has now been sold about a week ago. looking for another vlx now.
Damn! Someone lucky got it....badass looking bike!
(10-28-2015, 04:22 PM)jmilay Wrote: Damn!  Someone lucky got it....badass looking bike!

thanks. pretty much all we did was do a complete bob. and took off tank, side covers, etc from my first bike and put it on this bike. i knew it would sell. but now im waiting on my first bike to get done to ride again.
(12-08-2015, 11:51 AM)Jam36a Wrote: Any updates on this VLX re-build??

it was sold a lil less then 2 months ago. sold even before it was done. im hoping this kind of keeps happening.